Wednesday, August 15, 2012

ProResources


Dear Jim Golm,

Fifteen years ago with the ink still wet on my Ball State University diploma, I began my professional career at ProResources. I am writing because on a regular basis I still apply business principles that you taught me while I worked for ProResources.

I was hired by MidAmerica Temporary Agency in July of 1998. I read the employee handbook during the 3 weeks between being hired and starting work, and was utterly dismayed by the rules set out in their “employee handbook.” I was flustered to find that ProResources bought MidAmerica the week before I started! However, reading through the ProResources Employee Handbook was a breath of fresh air--the policies of ProResources were in stark contrast, a welcome relief.

That first introduction to ProResources was no fluke: the employee policies, the manner in which customers were treated, and the methods for wooing temporary workers were all in line with a philosophy of treat others BETTER than you expect to be treated.  I am very thankful that my first professional job was at ProResources.

Three business principles that you taught me are still cornerstones to my professional life today. They are:
1) Bring presents. No matter what, when you go see a client always bring a small token of thanks for their business. Periodically bring large presents!

2) Don’t make excuses. No one cares why you did something wrong. All they want to know is how you’re going to fix it.

3) Never ever let a client know that you are busy working for another client. Do everything in your power to make EVERY client think they are your Number One client.

. I only worked for ProResources for 2 years, but those 2 years were critical in my development as a professional. We are all selling something. Even though I have worked for non-profits for the past 13 years, I still use these principles of sales and business management in my work on a weekly, if not daily, basis.

Thank you Jim for treating people with dignity, for running a business that was fun to work for, and for investing your time in the lowest person on the totem pole. Because of your good leadership, I am a better worker.

Fondly,


Sue (McCrory) Godfrey

No comments:

Post a Comment